Bluhm/Helfand Social Innovation Fellowship
The Bluhm/Helfand Social Innovation (BHSI) Fellowship at Chicago Ideas Week (CIW) recognizes social entrepreneurs, 35 years or younger, whose nonprofit and for-profit ventures tackle significant social challenges through innovative business models. Now in its sixth year, the BHSI Fellowship is committed to empowering entrepreneurs from diverse backgrounds by providing them a platform for growth. Fellows gain exposure to nationally-recognized business and civic leaders, establish a community of support with past Fellows, are awarded $10,000 in financial support toward their work and participate in CIW, a weeklong ideas festival featuring world-class speakers and thinkers, October 17–23, 2016.
Since its inception in 2011, the BHSI Fellowship – created by philanthropists and entrepreneurs Leslie Bluhm and David Helfand – has awarded more than $500,000 to the Fellows through contributions and in-kind services.
2016: KEY DATES
- Thursday, March 17th: Applications open
- Tuesday, June 7th (11:59 PM CST): Application deadline
- Late July: Semifinalists notified
- Friday, August 12th & Saturday, August 13th: Semifinalist interviews in Chicago.
- In order to be considered for the Fellowship, applicants must be able to attend the in-person interviews. Travel expenses will be covered.
- Thursday, August 18th: 2016 BHSI Fellows announced
- Monday, October 17th – Sunday, October 23rd: Chicago Ideas Week
- In order to be eligible for the Fellowship, applicants must be available to travel to Chicago October 16th – 21st, with the option of staying to participate through the 23rd. (Fellows’ travel expenses will be covered through the 21st or 23rd, respectively.)